Hove Park governing body
Welcome from the Chair of Governors
There are in excess of 300,000 school governors in England; they are one of the largest groups of volunteers in the country and one of the best examples of civic engagement in the country. School governors are the strategic leaders of our schools and have a vital role to play in making sure every child gets the best possible education within a safe, stimulating and highly professional environment.
To ensure effective governance we focus on three core strategic functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Hove Park Governors are committed to ensuring the best possible educational outcome for all our students.
The Governing Body draws from its membership a variety of skills, experience and commitment, together with a diversity of view in order to carry out key responsibilities.
Providing strategic management
- Establish a clear strategic direction.
- Establishment, protection and promotion of the school’s ethos and values.
- Allocate and control of the school budget.
- Probity and value for public money.
- Ensure high standards of education and well-being for all our students.
- Develop effective partnerships/collaboration with other schools.
- Engage with and take into account the needs of students, parents and other stakeholders within the community.
Being a “critical friend”
- Support and robust challenge in holding the Head Teacher to account.
- Effective scrutiny of plans, policy and performance.
- Monitor and evaluate progress.
Making executive decisions
- Appoint senior staff – Head Teacher & Deputies
- Decisions are taken based upon good quality relevant information and advice.
- Ensure accountability to parents, other key stakeholders and the community.
- Act in the best interests of the school at all times.
The Hove Park Governing body supports and works collaboratively with our partner secondary & primary schools and their governors across Brighton & Hove, to promote and ensure the best high quality educational outcomes for all students across the city.
Our overriding aim as Governors together with the school staff is to ensure that all our students at Hove Park receive a high quality education in a safe and caring environment. We recognise the key role that parents and carers can take in the educational partnership between students, the school and the wider community and therefore welcome any views, issues and concerns you may wish to bring to the attention of the Governors.
Helen Davies, Chair of Governors
Governing Body Meetings
The Full Governing Body meets at least once a term.
Governing Meeting Attendance
To see the meeting attendance table please click here.