Food and Cookery
Food and Cookery News
NCFE Level 2 Certificate with grades Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* (these are equivalent to GCSE grades C-A*).
Some students may be entered for the NCFE Level 1 Certificate where the grades are equivalent to GCSE grades G-D).
What do students learn about in Food and Cookery?Knowledge:
- Where does food come from (which plants and animals)?
- How does food keep us alive and well?
- What can cooks do to help keep people well?
- How can food harm us?
- What can cooks do to prevent harm?
- Why do people make the food choices that they do?
- To understand and follow recipes
- To adapt recipes (= change them)
- To be able to prepare and present dishes to a very high standard using a range of equipment
- To plan your time in the kitchen for maximum efficiency
- To recognise and name a wide range of ingredients
- To take responsibility for your own learning remembering to collect and store evidence for your portfolio.
- To evaluate finished dishes.
This course is suitable only for students who are interested in food and willing to work hard. You will be asked to taste some ingredients you may not have tried before. You will also have to sign a contract of behaviour to help ensure your safety in the classroom.
How is this qualification assessed?
One written examination on nutrition (healthy eating): 25% Three portfolios of evidence (photographs and writing): 75%.
What pathways are linked to studying Food and Cookery?Post-16 Courses Food and cookery at GCSE level is desirable but not essential for catering & hospitality courses at City College.
Apprenticeships (Intermediate and advanced)Butchery, catering and professional chefs, hospitality, hospitality management. University Degrees Food and culinary arts, culinary arts management, food preparation and culinary arts, hospitality and culinary arts, professional culinary arts, cookery, food science, food technology, food and nutritional sciences.
Jobs and CareersChef, caterer, restaurant cook, executive chef, food and beverage manager, food processor. There are over 7,500 jobs in the catering and hospitality sector in Brighton & Hove